News 7 Nov 2016

Wilson attempts to bear the pain for Wilson Coolair Motul Factory Suzuki at Avalon

Wilson Coolair Motul Factory Suzuki press release:

Wilson Coolair Motul Factory Suzuki’s Luke Wilson has left the fourth instalment of the 2016 Australian Supercross Championship with some positives, despite reinjuring his hand and battling an existing wrist injury at Avalon in Melbourne last night.

With Wilson’s SX1 teammate Todd Waters opting to sit out of the Victorian outing after suffering a training accident prior to round three, Wilson represented Factory Suzuki solo yesterday, and showed that regardless of his physical challenges, that he was prepared to give it his best shot at collecting vital championship points.

After qualifying in 14th position yesterday, Wilson had his work cut out for him in the heat race early in the evening – But when gates dropped Wilson snatched up the holeshot and was sitting comfortably inside the top three when a big crash over the triple section saw him go down, re-injuring his hand.

Unfortunately for Wilson, that marked an early end to the Factory Suzuki rider’s night. Despite heading out for the sighting lap of the main event, Wilson was forced to return to the pits in pain, recording a ‘did not start’ for last night’s final race.

Wilson now sits in 10th position in the SX1 Championship standings with two rounds of this year’s Supercross series remaining.

Luke Wilson – SX1 (DNS)

“I got off to a really good start in my heat race, I holeshotted and was in the lead which was awesome, then I think I dropped back to about third and I made a mistake, jumped off the side of the triple and jammed my hand,” Wilson said.

“It’s the same hand that I’ve been struggling with but just a different area which was really disappointing.

“I went out for the sight lap for the main but I just couldn’t do it, I had to make the call to pull in and keep my mind on the bigger picture.

“We’ll see how we’re going this week, and I’ll be doing everything I can to be on the line in Sydney.”

Neale Wilson – Wilson Coolair Motul Factory Suzuki Team Manager

“It was a tough weekend for us, but we’re focusing on the positives, and looking at what went well as a whole too,” Wilson shared.

“With Todd out with an injury, and Luke also carrying a wrist injury we knew that Melbourne was going to be a challenge, but Luke showed a lot of determination to get out there and give it a go, no matter what challenges he was faced with.

“He got a fantastic start in his heat race, and was well on the pace of the guys in the top three, but unfortunately that crash in the triple section hurt him a lot and it was sort of the catalyst for the night.

“Even though he was in pain, Luke headed out for the sighting lap for the final and was determined to race, but I think he made the right call pulling in, and now we can work on getting in as much recovery as possible before Sydney.”

Wilson Coolair Motul Factory Suzuki will now begin preparations for the final two rounds of of the 2016 Australian Supercross Championship, the AUS-X Open, being held at Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney on Saturday and Sunday, November 12-13.

To follow Wilson’s Coolair Motul Factory Suzuki’s progress this year, like ‘Wilson Coolair Motul Suzuki’ on facebook or follow @wilsonscoolairmotulsuzuki on Instagram.

For further information on the Australian Supercross Championships, head to