MotoOnline.com.au puts Alpinestars’ top of the line motocross boots to the test.
Here we go again guys, our latest installment of our review section in the Product Centre and this week we’ve got out hands on a set of Alpinestars’ Tech 10 motocross and off-road boots.
Now, first things first, I have to fill you in on something that many are probably already aware of: I have never worn a different motocross boot other than Alpinestars in my life. Period.
Since the Tech 10 series was released in 2004 alongside the brand’s former benchmark, the Tech 8, many riders throughout the sport have opted to remain wearing the Tech 8s.
As for me, I tend to wear the Tech 10 boots while riding motocross, and the Tech 8 boots when riding enduro – if not for any other reason than I don’t want to tear up my 10s out in the bush!
The Tech 10 features loads of protection, doing so without limiting comfort or flexibility in the boot.
It features a removable inner boot, and once you fit that to you foot, you’ll be able to slide straight on in to the main external piece of the boot, do up the three external clips and you’ll be good to go.
You’ll see in the Technical Features list below that Astars puts huge amounts of development time into their footwear, all in a bid to increase safety while out riding.
One of the greatest benefits in the Tech 10s is that you can essentially pull them out of the box and be comfortable right away as they don’t take long to ‘break in’ compared to some of the old school Tech 8s and so on.
I’m a big fan of the white/black Tech 10s and those are the ones I wear, but a selection of funky new colours are also available for this year including black/gold, black/green, blue/white and red white, so check them out and see what suits your style.
The key to wearing white boots when riding a dirt bike is to definitely clean them after every ride as soon as you’re done, that way they’ll stay a heck of a lot cleaner for a whole lot longer.
Now that I’ve done more than a few motos in the Tech 10s I can report that they’re holding up as expected, with the only sign of wear and tear being that the white plastic below the black gripper section on the inside ankle of the boots is starting to wear away – nothing major at all.
I’m not anywhere near replacing the soles at this stage, but I’m never been one to tear up soles on boots. The good news is that they are replaceable though.
When it comes to boots it’s extremely difficult to look past Astars, so if you can afford to shell out $799.00 of your hard earned on some Tech 10s, it’s almost guaranteed that you’ll be happy with the product.
With guys like Chad Reed rocking Tech 10 boots on a weekly basis in the AMA, plus with development input from Jeremy McGrath, there’s no doubt that these boots are well polished.
2010 ALPINESTARS TECH 10 BOOT TECHNICAL FEATURES:
• Revolutionary external structure features ultra low profile design to minimise weight at the lower section of the boot and upper design developed for controlled flexibility, streamlined profile and superior grip against the bike.
• Innovative biomechanical inner bootie provides the ultimate in support and safety.
• Torsion bars control ankle and leg rotation, while allowing freedom of movement.
• Bootie structure featrues PU protection and shock absorbing padding on the heal and ankles and an ultra thin and flexible forefoot area for increased feeling of the controls.
• Perforated bootie is washable and replaceable.
• Lightweight upper combines full-grain leather with impact and abrasion resistant PU shell for unmatched levels of safety.
• PU guards the toes, foot, heel, ankle, calf and shin with extra hard compounds on the toe-box, heel and Achilles tendon.
• Innovative PU spine protects the heel, controls flex and features a hyperextension guard.
• Outer side of the boot features anti-torsion PU panel on the ankle for flexibility and support.
• Ultra comfortable and precision fit interior features new poly fabric lining with open cell foam and a shock absorbing shin pad.
• New and exclusive dual compound sole is seamlessly integrated to multi-density foot base structure with built-in support.
• Sole provides superior durability, grip, feel and a high level of structural rigidity.
• Advanced closure system features three techno-polymer and aluminium buckles for easy adjustability with a precise, secure and streamlined fit.
• Buckles feature memory, a quick release/locking system and a self-aligning design for easy and precise closure.
• Three buckle system works in conjunction with the entire internal structure to provide excellent support and flexibility.
• Inner side of the boot is designed for maximum grip against the bike from top to bottom and features PU panels for heat and abrasion resistance.
• New form fitting PU gasket seals water out of the boot.
• White model features airflow ventilation system.
Available colours: White/black, black/gold, black/green, blue/white and red white
Distributor: Monza Imports
+ Grip points
– Clean them ASAP after every ride (same goes with all white boots)
– Expensive (but worth it!)